One of my friend told me one day that the best thing to do in order to create a relationship with somebody, is to ask questions. People can’t offer you a new job, a free beat, a free verse, but they obvisouly can’t refuse to help someone who is asking a smart question. Yeah you read right, the smarter the question, the higher the chance to build a helpful relationship.
But to make it count, a question got to be a good question. How ?
- Chose your « target » : identify the influencers in your activity, and use social medias like Twitter to reach them easily.
- Learn concrete things about your target : what are they working on ? What ideas do they defend ?
- Identify on what and how you could add value in this upcoming relationship : if you want them to listen to you, be sure they will want you to be interesting !
- Break the ice : your question must be opened to longer conversations, and must show that you are serious in your demand thanks to relevant information.
- Ask for it, twice if needed : no answer back ? Great ! It’s an opportunity to learn more information about the person you want to reach, and to be back at him / her more powerful on another support !
- Of course, say thank you : saying thank you is powerful and there are many ways to say it !